From the book What I Eat: Around the World in 80 Diets. Portraits of people around the world with their typical daily food intake.
1. "Bruce Hopkins, a Bondi Beach lifeguard, with his typical day’s worth of food in Sydney, New South Whales, Australia. The caloric value of his day’s worth of food on a typical day in the month of February was 3700 kcals. He is 35 years of age; 6 feet tall, and 180 pounds. Hopkins eats moderately, rarely if ever eats fast food, and drinks alcohol only when he and his wife go to dinner with friends."
2. "Marble Moahi, a mother living with HIV/AIDS, in the family kitchen in Kabakae Village, Ghanzi, Botswana with her typical day’s worth of food and antiretroviral medications. The caloric value of her day’s worth of food on a typical day in March was 900 kcals. She is 32 years of age; 5 feet, 5 inches tall; and 92 pounds."
3. "Willie Ishulutak, an Innuit soapstone carver in Iqaluit, Nunavut, Canada with one day’s typical food, and drink. The caloric value of his day’s worth of food on a typical day in the month of October was 4700 kcals. He is 29 years of age; 5 feet, 9 inches and 143 pounds."
4. "Sitarani Tyaagi, an ascetic Hindu priest, with his typical day’s worth of food at an ashram in Ujjain, India. The caloric value of his typical day’s worth of food in the month of April was 1000 kcals. He is 70 years of age; 5 feet, 6 inches tall; and 103 pounds. Sitarani Tyaagi is one of thousands of ascetic Hindu priestscalled Sadhus that walk the country of India and receive food from observant Hindus."
5. "Maria Ermelinda Ayme Sichigalo, a farmer and mother of eight with her typical day’s worth of food in her adobe kitchen house in Tingo village, central Andes, Ecuador. The caloric value of her typical day’s worth of food in the month of September was 3800 kcals. She is 37 years of age; 5 feet, 3 inches tall; and 119 pounds. With no tables or chairs, Ermelinda cooks all the family’s meals while kneeling over the hearth on the earthen floor, tending an open fire of sticks and straw."
6. "Curtis Newcomer, a U.S. Army soldier, with his typical day’s worth of food at the National Training Center at Fort Irwin in California’s Mojave Desert. The caloric value of his day’s worth of food in the month of September was 4,000 kcals. He is 20 years old; 6 feet, 5 inches tall; and 195 pounds. During a two-week stint before his second deployment to Iraq, he spends 12-hour shifts manning the radio communication tent (behind him)."
7. "Viahondjera Musutua, a Himba tribeswoman, sits outside the house at her father’s village with her youngest son and her typical day’s worth of food. Her two meals of the day consist of cornmeal porridge with sour whole milk and she’ll drink sour whole milk throughout the day."
8. "Aivars Radzins, a forester and beekeeper, wearing his bee-kleeping clothes, with a smoker and his typical day’s worth of food in his backyard in Vecpiebalga, Latvia. Breakfast is sour rye bread with honey and butter; a hard-boiled egg; homemade pork meatballs and coffee. Dinner is fried homemade pork meatballs, boiled potato and onion with sour cream, two kinds of salad, more rye bread and Lauku Kvass (beer).”
9. "Mariel Booth, a professional model and New York University student, at the Ten Ton Studio in Brooklyn with her typical day’s worth of food. The caloric value of her day’s worth of food on a day in the month of October was 2400 kcals. She is 23 years of age; 5 feet, 9.5 inches tall; and 135 pounds. At a healthier weight than when modeling full-time, she feels good but laments that she’s making much less money."
10. "Takeuchi Masato, a professional sumo wrestler whose ring name is Miyabiyama (meaning "Graceful Mountain"), with his day’s worth of food in the team’s practice ring in Nagoya, Japan. He eats 3,500 kcals a day. Lunch is fried chicken, chanko nabe (traditional sumo wrestler’s stew) with pork, vegetable tempura, cabbage egg and stewed chicken and white rice."